Monday, January 2, 2017
Hit it off right, and by right it mean Books!
Let the New Year begin! I successfully ate one cookie for two years! (giveaway: I ate it from 11:56 to 12:02. Two years with one cookie!)
With the close of 2016 I was able to go back and tally up all the books I have read and reviewed the past year! It was amazing to see how many I had actually read, although nowhere near as many as I could have read had I a proper library. My list would also probably be doubled if I added all the books I never finished. It's grieving to read books that hold so much potential, yet ruin their chances by adding worthless ideas, foul language, and rotten romances. But for this year (And here I thank my mom for the idea) I'm going to keep a list of books that I would spare you of reading!
Now, on to the good books! All of my books are rated from one * to five *****, with the occasional ! to show that this book is a MUST read!!!!! There will also be a large L on books that have a few hard words. Most old British literature contains it since that was before those words were considered as bad as they are now. (Note: Some of these books I read at the beginning of the year so I'm a bit fuzzy. I will label any book that I remember bad language, so I'm sorry if I accidentally missed one!) There will also be a few books for younger ages labeled KIDS,which are ones I've read aloud to my siblings.
But I won't keep you waiting any longer! These are given in the order I read them.
1) Crazy Love = *****!
2)Holiness of God = ***
3) Merry Wives of Windsor = ****
4) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe = *****! KIDS (But this is a fabulous book for ALL ages)
5) The Quotable Lewis = *****
6) Light of the Last = *****
7) Cameron Townsend = ****
8) Do Hard Things = *****!
9) Prince Caspian = *****! KIDS (Also one for all ages as well!)
10) Twice Freed = **
11) Screwtape Letters = ****
12)The Two Noble Kinsmen = ***
13) Measure for Measure = *
14) Voyage of the Dawn Treader = *****! KIDS (And all ages)
15) The Chosen = ***
16) The Hiding Place = ***
17) Mere Christianity = *****!
18) Bruchko = ****
19) Legends and Lies of the Old West = *** L
20) Anne of Avonlea = ****
21) Indian in the cupboard = **** L & KIDS (If you're careful and skip the few rough words, this is a really great book!)
22) Anne of Green Gables = ***** KIDS
23) 7 Habits of Highly Effective People = *****
24) Hamlet = *****!
25) Twelth Night = *****
26) Master Cornhill = *****
27) Mary, Bloody Mary = ****
28) Where the Broken Heart Still Beats = ***
29) Loving Will Shakespeare = *
30) The Shakespeare Spy = *****
31) The Secret of Wildcat Swamp = *****
32) The Phantom Freighter = *****
33) The Viking Symbol Mystery =*****
34) The Bombay Boomerang = ****
35) The Clue of the Broken Blade = ****
36) The Man in the Brown Suite = *****! L
37) To Kill a Mocking Bird = **
38) The Sinister Signpost = *****
39) Murder on the Orient Express = ***** L
40) The night the Bear ate Goombaw = *****
41) Sir Kendrick and the castle of Bel Lione = *****!
42) Kingdom's Call (read 2x) = *****!
43) Kingdom's Quest (read 2x) = *****!
44) And Then There Were None = ***** L
45) The ABC Murder = *****L
46) The Seven Dials Mystery = *****!
47) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd = *****!
48) Enough Faith = ****
49) To Busy Not To Pray = *****!
50) Cold-Case Christianity = *****!
51) Kingdom's Reign = *****
52) Sir Dalton = *****!
53) Emma = ***
54) Lady Carliss = *****!
55) Sir Quinlan = *****!
56) Sir Bentley = *****!
57) The Book Of Hours = *****!
58) Mansfield Park = **
59) Pilgrim's Regress = *
60) King of the Wind = ***** KIDS
61) Pride and Prejudice = *****
62) Heroes of Faith: C. S. Lewis = *****
63) Hinds Feet In High Places = *****
64) Misty of Chincoteague = *****KIDS
65) Total Truth = *****!
66) The 5,000 Year Leap = *****
67) Alen's War = *****
68) Mara, Daughter Of The Nile = *****
And that sums it up! Of course, moving across the state, having another sibling born on top of the 4 I already have, and a mass of other things has kept me a bit busy. But all is not so bleak... I HAVE A NEW YEAR TO READ MORE!!!
I would like to also add a list of books that have a special place in my memory. Just in case you go through this reading list to quickly. Some other great books are:
The Shakespeare Steal & The Shakespeare Scribe
The Great and Terrible Quest
The Secret Adversary
Lincoln's Last Days
The Narnian Cookbook
The Witch of Blackbird Pond (don't let the word witch scare you off. It's about how the people of New England accused Quakers of being witches. It's a great book!)
The Bronze Bow
Eagle of the Ninth
Do you have any favorite books? Please share in the comments! I'm always on the lookout for more to add to my reading list!